Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Childhood's End

Last week, I saw the most recent, and sadly, the last Harry Potter movie. I've heard a lot of people my age say that the ending of the series feels like the end of childhood. I'll stay a kid forever, but I definitely can relate to this feeling. I grew up with the Harry Potter books and movies. The end of it all does make me feel old. I decided to take a look back on the series, and tried to remember what was going on in my life the month when each of the movies were released. Let's see how Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Emily have grown...

**SPOILER ALERT**
If you haven't read the books/seen the movies 1) You may not want to continue reading. 2) Just give up now, you're never going to read them, stop telling yourself you will.

1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone-November 2001

  • Harry finds out he is a wizard! Hagrid explains to him that he will spend the next seven years at Hogwarts learning magic! 
  • At this point in my life, I am in 8th grade. My parents have just informed me that I will spend the next four years of my life at an all-girl high school! The boys in my grade school class begin purposely pronouncing the name of my high school, Regina, wrong. I don't think I need to elaborate.
2. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets-November 2002






  • A deadly monster is unleashed at Hogwarts. Harry saves the day by defeating Tom Riddle and the basilisk (big snake)!
  • I am a freshman in high school. I'm obsessed with this song:





3. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- June 2004

  • Harry is reunited with his godfather, Sirius Black!
  • I am reunited with my favorite Disney channel original movie character-Zenon! Zenon: Z3 premiered on the Disney channel. It is a major disappointment. Proto Zoa failed to deliver another hit.

4. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire-November 2005

  • Harry becomes a champion in the Triwizard Tournament.... without even applying.
  • I work my butt off on SATs and applying to college. I eat, sleep, breathe higher education. I get into some schools...wait-listed at a few...rejected at others...
5. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix-July 2007

  • Harry gets his first kiss from hottie, Cho Chang. He mourns the death of Sirius Black
  • I decide to transfer to Notre Dame. I'm sorted into the house of Turtle Creek Apartments. I still mourn the cancellation of Gilmore Girls.
6. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince- July 2009

  • Snape finally gets to be Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Then he ruins everything...but he has a good reason.
  • I finally get a to bring a car to school (summer school), but get pulled over for the first time for speeding...but I had a good reason. Actually, no I didn't. 

7. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-Part 1- November 2010

Emma Watson is not the only one
who blossomed into a fashion icon.
  • Harry, Ron, and Hermione don't return to Hogwarts for their final year, but spend all their time looking for Horcruxes.
  • I've now graduated, but return to Notre Dame every football weekend, and spend all my time looking for free beer.
8. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows-Part 2-July 2011

  • Harry defeats Lord Voldemort and restores peace and harmony to the wizarding and mortal worlds!
  • I move back in with my parents and bring all the fun and happiness back into their lives!

I encourage you all to try to remember what you were up to at all these different times. It's amazing how much time has gone by!

1 comment: