Thursday, June 9, 2011

Your Possible Pasts

I revamped my blog today. Not sure I like it, just thought I should change it from one of the blogger defaults. I want to do this right.

I was trying to find pictures of myself to post, but I realized that the best pictures of myself are from when I was 2-6 years old. Those were my golden years. I was once even asked to model for McDonald's, but I wasn't able to do it because I was too crabby that day. I was way high maintenance and thought I was too good for Mickey D's. Oh how things change.

It got me thinking, what would the supermodel six year old Emmy think of twenty-three year old Emily? Would she be proud of me? What would it be like to meet the six year old me and give her a tour of my apartment...Let's see!

First stop, the living room: When I was younger, I really wanted to go to Notre Dame. So I'm sure the 6 year old me would love to see the Notre Dame paraphernalia everywhere!


6 year old Emmy: You went to Notre Dame!? I got in!
23 year old Emily: Yeah. Eventually...
6 year old Emmy: Eventually?
23 year old Emily: Look, I graduated.
6 year old Emmy: Were we a cheerleader???
23 year old Emily: Not exactly. But you get to be a tranny and you'll love every minute of it.
[sidenote: every little girl whose dad went to Notre Dame wants to be an ND cheerleader when she grows up.]





6 year old Emmy: We're engaged!!!
23 year old Emily: Nope. That is not yours.
6 year old Emmy: Well, are we--?
23 year old Emily: No.
6 year old Emmy: Why?
23 year old Emily: Look, being a bridesmaid can be fun too.
6 year old Emmy: But when Mom was our age--
23 year old Emily: Moving on...




Second Stop, the bedroom: My favorite thing to do when I was younger was paint. I thought I would grow up to be an artist, but I stopped art for a long time. In college I started up again just for fun!


6 year old Emmy: Where are the rest of our paintings. Is this it?
23 year old Emily: Hey, I work.
6 year old Emmy: But isn't that our job? 
23 year old Emily: Painting? Not exactly.
6 year old Emmy: Cartoonist? Ballerina? Orthopedic surgeon? 
23 year old Emily:  Not exactly.




Third stop, the kitchen:


6 year old Emmy: What are all those bottles for? 
23 year old Emily: Moving on...








Fourth stop, the balcony:

6 year old Emmy: Is that the Sears Tower?
23 year old Emily: Well, the Willis Tower. 
6 year old Emmy: The what? That's stupid.
23 year old Emily: I know.
6 year old Emmy: I can't believe we can see the Sears Tower from our apartment!
23 year old Emily:  I know. You kind of have to squint a little bit, but it's pretty cool.


I've always wanted to live in the city. I love big buildings and bright lights. I think the 6 year old me would think it was pretty amazing that I made this dream come true. I always thought I would live with my parents after college, so I'm so proud I was able to move out.

I haven't accomplished everything I wanted to, and a lot of my dreams have changed. But I think I'm off to a pretty good start!


1 comment:

  1. Haha, love this! I wish you had asked 6 year old Emmy what she thought of your roommate. I think we would be friends. Also loving your blog facelift.

    ReplyDelete