Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Any Colour You Like

Happy Pride, Ladies!!!

This Sunday was my second appearance at Chicago's Gay Pride Parade. Last year was awesome, but I knew this year was going to be even better with me living not far from Boystown (area in Chicago where the parade was, I think you can guess why they call it that). It was especially refreshing for me to be able to walk to a gay pride event that attracts hundreds of thousands of people.  I lived in the suburbs for eighteen years and then went on to a conservative college in Indiana. Needless to say, my old neighborhood never looked like this:

or this:



I was lucky enough to know someone who knew someone who had an awesome apartment looking over the parade. It looked crazy down there!!!

Of course, I had to dress up. I am the Queen of Costumes. Unfortunately, I had left all my costumes at my parents' house. I was worried about it all week but then I remembered that my Mom is the best and she brought some fun stuff down for me.


I admit, not my best work. It would have been a lot better if I hadn't chickened out and had worn my lime green snake skin spandex pants. I wouldn't be surprised if I offended people with this lame attempt. Only cool part is my shirt says "Material Girl" and the mushroom hat was purchased when I was twelve and on a family vaca in San Francisco.

So Pride got me thinking. Can dressing goofy, drinking all day, and accepting free hugs from everyone who offers be a good way to show your support for the gay community? Some people may see it as an excuse to drink on a Sunday, or an excuse to flash your chest, but I definitely see the Pride Parade as a celebration. Sometimes it's good to not be so serious about serious causes. It's important to celebrate how far the world has come even though we have a long way to go.

And of course, everyone celebrates in his or her own way. Whether it's Gay Pride, Saint Patrick's Day, or Mardi Gras, there's always going to be that chick (or dude) that ends up drinking too much (or maybe that's just how she is sober) and taking off her clothes in public and losing her job the next day. Just glad it wasn't me.


New York!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for cropping me out of the pic. I think you were just afraid that my outfit was cooler than yours. Don't worry though, nothing can compare to Material Girl (with the rinestones as dots) for the i's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha I thought you might notice that...I just didn't want to infringe on any copyright of Pennies on the Sidewalk. I don't want your people suing my people...It's a blog eat blog world.

    But yeah yours was cooler. Nothing more festive than feathers!

    ReplyDelete