Monday, June 6, 2011

Money

"Well, I'm a big fan of money. I like it. I use it. I have some. I keep it in a jar above my refrigerator. I'd like to put some more money in that jar. That's where you come in."~Adam Sandler, The Wedding Singer



One abnormal thing I’ve noticed about myself lately is my relationship with money.  It seems natural that as you get older and have more responsibility, you should start getting more serious about money, you should start to realize just how important it is. It seems like just the opposite is happening with me.  As I fall more in love with things that either don’t produce or involve money, I’ve come to find that I’m just not that into it.

It wasn’t always this way. When I was younger, I was a lady who appreciated the finer things. I wanted to be an investment banker when I grew up, my dream was to have filet at Tavern on the Green (I got to go before it closed!), and I planned on getting a purebred Pomeranian and naming it Dow Jones.

Things changed slowly. In college, I was horrible with money. I have no idea how I managed to spend so much and look so trashy 24/7. I got a job junior year though and learned the value of a buck. The real change came this year when I was finally supporting myself. It was really hard going from student to full-time work. I was shocked to find out what a large part of one’s life is spent at work, and how accomplished and fulfilled a full day of work can make you feel. 

I began to think less about what type of job would make me the most money, and more about what type of job was going to allow me to feel like myself while I was doing it.  And that’s how I decided to devote my life to the short story….I know, weird.

I remember talking to my mom after I moved into my apartment. It’s not a dump, but it’s an old city place where the windows won’t open, there’s no real dishwasher, and the doors have been painted over so many times that they will hardly close. I told my mom that I thought I could live in a place like this forever. And if I fulfill my dreams, I just might have to.




Top Ten Ways I Save:
10. youtube>itunes
9. McDonald's Dollar Menu=go to for any time you need a pick-me-up
8. Suave Shampoo and Conditioner-my parents tried to convince me for years that I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and John Frieda. They're wrong, I can tell the difference, but not $12 worth of difference
7. Check groupon, livingsocial, couponcabin, restaurants.com everyday.
6. Yes...wire...hangers!!
5. Forever 21...22...23...am I ever too old?
4. Say yes to every time my parents ask me to dinner. Every single time.
3. Miller High Life
2. Taking vacations to my parents' basement or South Bend, IN
1. Make friends with the rich and fabulous

No comments:

Post a Comment