Monday, July 11, 2011

Apples and Oranges

It’s somewhat pointless to compare New York to Chicago. It’s like comparing apples and oranges, or rather, apples and onions.

I'm from the Chicagoland area (aka the suburbs) and I’m currently live in the city, so obviously I’m bias when it comes to comparing these two toddlin’ towns. But as someone who really doesn’t know where she will end up geographically (or mentally) in the future, it’s good to think about what I like and what I don’t like about different cities.

I spent this past weekend in New York City, and I’ve got to say that I love New York.  This weekend was full of many “New York Miracles” such as running into a high school friend at the Met, watching the tiny sailboats in Central Park, not getting kicked out of Bergdorf Goodman, and not getting [seriously] lost (thanks to my many brochures, iPhone, and keen sense of direction).

Although I do love New York, and had an amazing time this weekend, I was a fish out of water. It's very different from home. It's a lot bigger, a lot faster, and there's a lot more going on. I decided to compare the two cities in a face-off competition. It's the best rivalry since Britney and Christina.

Round 1: Transportation

Both cities are pretty darn easy to get around. Both have done a great job with public transportation. Since I was in NYC this past October, I already figured out how the subway (MTA) works, and I have to say it is better than Chicago's El (though it is dirtier, but more on that later). The MTA comes more frequently and just seems a lot faster. Getting across Manhattan can be a pain, but cabs aren't too expensive. However, in Chicago, I basically just walk outside my door and I'm instantly solicited by cabs. In New York, you kind of have to work for it. Let's just say my feelings got hurt more than once. Still, this round goes to New York. I mean most of the streets are numbered, that makes things a heck of a lot easier.
Winner: NYC

Round 2: Pizza

People complain that they don't like deep dish because it's not easy to eat. Hello? What is easier than eating food with a knife and fork. I love a New York slice, but Chicago's pizza takes the "pie" in my opinion.
Winner: CHI

Round 3: Cleanliness

I mean, come on. That's disgusting.
Winner: CHI

Round 4: Parks

I just love a good park. Chicago has some great ones: Grant, Lincoln, Millennium. Who doesn't love a giant jelly bean? Both times I went to New York this year I spent a lot of time in Central Park. I love it! I spent a lot of time at the boat pond this trip, it was adorable, all me and my sister could think about was Stuart Little. It's just really cool that Central Park has been able to stay so nice and big! Clear winner.
Winner: NYC

Round 5: Rap

Clear winner.
Winner: CHI

Round 6: Diversity

American cities always seem to be diverse, but New York and Chicago are diverse in different ways. Chicago is extremely segregated, while New York seems to encourage more mingling. I do like Chicago neighborhood identity, but I do think the Big Apple promotes more diversity.
Winner: NYC

Round 7: Dudes
New York guys are better dressers and and have more interesting stories, but I think Chicago guys are funnier and more endearing. Plus in NY, there's just too many of them to choose from. 
Winner: CHI

Round 8: Important Stuff

Let's face it, New York is the center of the universe. Insurance wise, I think there's more valuable and important "stuff" in New York. Though Chicago has better architecture and cooler residents of the past, present, and future, New York has a monopoly over the best collection of important stuff. 
Winner: NYC

1 comment:

  1. Got to disagree with you on parks. New York has one. Yeah, it's a great one, but it's only one.

    ReplyDelete